Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hatha Yoga and Bellydancing

A few days ago the hubby and I picked up a bellydancing DVD (I had one a few years ago but it disappeared - it was a good one, too!) and I just got around to giving it the once-over today. Pretty good; I like the idea behind it, but her teaching style leaves a bit to be desired. It's tribal fusion bellydancing (which heretofore I had not heard of) and doesn't seem that dissimilar from the "normal" style you see a lot.

I'm going to try to get into a routine, now...I don't know how well it will go, but at least I threw my body a bone today.

So, I noticed in the warm-up she was doing some form of yoga. I decided that if I was going to do yoga, I'd break out the book my hubby has and do the form he recommended. (He doesn't do it himself, claims not to be flexible enough) So I did, and boy was it invigorating! Now I know why people do it, you seriously can feel the difference in your body even after one try as long as you don't take it as a joke. Now I can't want to find an apartment, I really want my own space and my own time to be able to do it instead of having to work around their schedule and worry that someone will walk in.

It turned out what she did wasn't that different, but where the TV was sitting it was easier to glance at the book than be rushed through the positions.

I wish I could cast off my habits, my cravings, my laziness...I wish I could remember and force myself to take my vitamins, I wish I could get up early and do yoga, and then my bellydancing, I wish I could take away all artificial stuff and oils and preservatives in my food....some day. Some day I'll be natural, some day I'll feel better. I know that what I do to my body affects it.

On another note, I have Nickelback's "Burn it to the ground" stuck in my head. Nickelback is another one of those bands that I don't think people give enough credit to. Yes, I know that two of their songs sounded similar. And if you listen to the lyrics of a lot of them, the guy who writes for the band is a bit of a sleezball. But these days they're making some good music, and the frontman (his name escapes me at the moment...Chad, I think) has an interesting voice.

No pictures today, sorry guys. :P

1 comment:

  1. I do yoga every morning when I wake up...I have Gaiam's AM/PM yoga with Rodney Yee (he's a fantastic instructor). I rarely use the DVD any more, because I have the morning routine memorized, but you're right...it feels incredibly good to go through the routines.

    And there are worse things than Nickelback to have stuck in your head (like Narwhals. I don't seem to be able to escape that song).

    ReplyDelete